Search This Blog

Wednesday 27 February 2013

What a relief (print) !

So today was an induction into the printing studios on the 4th floor, all I was able to do was create an etching plate and half finish a lino-cut however I hope to print tomorrow or friday. From yesterday's focus on our book cover designs I chose to illustrate some of my ideas in this medium for a much more wide range of choice for my final. 

In yesterday's session I created some Sellotape, glue, double sided tape and masking tape prints/transfers for both book. I chose to use a black and white photo of an orchid in reference to The Big Sleep's first major scene set in the greenhouse. It creates a metaphor for the story and also links back to the film noir imagery.


Above is my glue transfer of the image, I applied PVA glue to the front of the image then I stuck this down to another piece of paper, with warm water I then rubbed away on layer of paper to reveal the image left in the glue. I love the rough textured edges as it reminds me of a very old photo of damaged piece of film real. I feel this also applies a new effect to the simple black and white image.


Using Sellotape I layered strips over my image face up so the ink would fix to the sticky side, then with warm water I rubbed away the paper. The Sellotape creates a nice transparent feel and allows you to add depth and layers easily an example of this is above with the text revealed through the transparent flowers. This could be a nice way to integrate the text into the design. 

Below - This is the reverse side of the Sellotape print, I think I prefer the backside as the image is matt and the texture creates by the left behind paper gives a much more interesting image.


Below - The shiny (front) side of the Sellotape print. 


Clockwise below - Masking tape, Sellotape, double sided print experiments for The Wind in the willows Book cover.


Whilst in the studios my tutor Phil came over to look through my sketchbook and some of my ideas, he really liked my psychedelic concept for The Wind in the Willows I mentioned before in my previous post Serendipity. I plan to focus solely on this idea now and try to experiment with different techniques.

So today was my day off from uni however I chose to go in for an induction into the print studios where I was only able to get half way through the process of etching. I decided to etch my flowers and butterfly composition as I thought it could be a really effective print with amount of detail I could inject.



The stage I reached at the end of today with my etching plate. 


I also started to create a Lino-cut print of Mr Toad.


Close up of my Lino-cut still in stages of being created. 


I do plan to print these either at some point tomorrow or friday morning ready for a one-to-one talk with  Simon the tutor for this module.  Will keep up to date with the outcomes and feedback soon. 

NAP x


No comments:

Post a Comment