Search This Blog

Sunday 10 February 2013

Sunday Run-down

This weeks Sunday Run-Down artists are more suitable for my 147 DVA Design in Context module, with one exception linking more to my 148 DVA Integrate Design module







I love the pretty and feminine colour palette she uses in her illustrations, I could see the characters from The wind in the willows being transformed into this style. The addition of flowers and boho fashion relate well to the dream like story with the spring scenery described throughout the book. The detail in her line drawings give depth to the otherwise flat backgrounds. 










As an open skull patterned lover I love Thornton's artwork the colour palette and style of drawing, his pieces are very similar to that of Lili Lu's artwork above. I could see a cover for The big sleep illustrated in this style representing the beauty of the women characters in the book and the dark strong plot of murder, death, blackmail and violence. 






Looking at these pieces of artwork I can see the characters from either book surrounded with objects/text/quotes about that character taken from the book. The ink drips could be transformed into tea for the wind in the willows representing the picnic and englishness of afternoon tea in the country, where as for the big sleep I could turn these into blood, whiskey, poison or smoke. 








This style of artwork could be an interesting layout and composition style for me to experiment with, using strips of text to jumble the letters around. Perhaps the big sleep would be a better fit with this style as the story itself is a bit of a jumble and very hard to follow and read along with the plot. I prefer the monochrome pieces using only black, white and a mid-tone of slightly off white/brown. Plan to think about this as a book cover and the directions of the strips in comparison to the spine of the book. 









I love the style of Stevens artwork and his imagery within his films. Could be a possible style of the video for our website? or for our logo? or for my illustrations? The cut out patterns scribbled with hand drawn illustrations are shown flat but can also be transformed into looking 3D (second image). The obvious connection to space and the moon has made me think about our hand-made style concept and the idea of using paper in such a way that Stevens has here. 

NAP X





No comments:

Post a Comment