Search This Blog

Sunday 3 February 2013

Sunday Run-down

This week I've shown a glimpse into my personal projects I have taken on, through this process and research into my book cover project I was lead down the paths to discover my next five artists. The majority of my feauterd artists use recycled book pages but in very unique and different ways. 







He uses the same techniques as Julene Harrison, which I discussed in my last Sunday Run-down post, however their own personal style still screams through their designs. The more I see this style of work, the deeper I fall in love, I plan to create a few variations of my book cover in this style.








A posible contextual link to think about for my 147 DVA Design in context module where we have to design a book cover for this years Penguin Competition. I particularly like this artists use of tonal illustrations with the teared book pages used as a background. The sketchy lines and painted imagery  create a very personal feel along with the hand written text. I especially like his expressive marks and techniques of spreading the paint around the page, which diverts the viewers eyes around the page with drip marks. His mid-tonal range create a neutral and balanced overall feel in his artwork.








Cornell artworks are formed from collected materials and objects which seem to tell a story about a person such as coins, dice, tickets and other personal items. Finding these objects in attics, garage sales, basements, second hand shops, used book stores, junk stores and other unusual places such as in the woods, in a back alley/streets were his main environments for his sources. Could this be a positive way of representing characters from a book? a story/plot of a book with specific items/objects important in the story? or to the main character(s)? 






I saw her illustrations and immediately thought of one of the books part of the Penguin brief - The wind in the willows. I love how she depicts water and plays on the transparency with underwater drawings. Her composition and use of balance sees the water filling half of the image, I would like to see how my style of illustration could represent water in a similar way for my variation of the book cover.  







One of my personal projects has lead me to look at wooden spoons and the characterising of mundane kitchen and general household objects. I found this artist through my Pinterest site and loved her use of layering vintage paper with the technique of decoupage. Her nostalgic and faded colour palette really attract me as a lover of all things vintage, distressed and loved items. I hope to experiment with this natural colour palette for my book cover in relation to the original The wind in the willows book first published in the 1908. 

NAP x 

No comments:

Post a Comment