Search This Blog

Monday 13 April 2015

Spring Break

During our Easter break here in Cyprus I really wanted to travel to somewhere near whilst I had the chance with such cheap flights. We settles on visiting Crete, another large Island part of the Greek Islands. We stayed in Chania, a quiet, picturesque and historic part of the Island and visited the harbor and neighboring beaches. I felt it was good to escape and emerge ourselves in another Greek island to get an idea of Cyprus' Identity to help with my current project. It was just our luck to arrive to a week of freak weather with rain, wind and cold temperatures, however we did get a few spells of sunshine.

Crete
Stavros 


   




 

We visited the Venetian harbor and lighthouse in the main town of Chania and also explored the side-streets and bazaars. We had researched into visiting the Typography museum in Souda about half an hour from Chania, however with the timing of the year and weather we found it difficult to travel there.

Chania Harbour

 



On our return to Cyprus we felt we should visit some historical sites as we missed out on the museum visit in Crete. We found the archelogical site close by to our hotel in Paphos and explored the park. I have always loved visiting such places in the UK to see roman ruins and found our day very intriguing and throughly enjoyable.

Paphos  

The Light house and Odeon 

 


 
Subterrean Complex


Saranta Kolones Castle ruins






Theseus Villa





With so much to see and do in Paphos we have decided to come back as a group to visit the tomb of the kings and the whole Coral bay area. Visiting all the places I have this week made me realise how much I miss sketching and how much I should be to document what I see and do here. I found the archaeological site to be very inspiring with the ruins of colours and arches. I have decided to start carrying a small sketchbook around with me in case the overwhelming urge to sketch strikes me again.


NAP x



No comments:

Post a Comment