Search This Blog

Monday 14 January 2013

149DVA Typography 1

So the deadline day was set, it came, I conquered it.


The brief for this project was to consider structure, hierarchy and detail in an organised and sustained piece of extended text. We was given 2 A4 pages of text stating rules from a General House Style Guide which we had to typeset in the form of an A3 poster, designed to be pinned next to a designers desk. 

For more understanding of my work below are the requirements from the brief and my final poster in its last stages.

Specifics: 
Size: A3
Context: Text Only
Pictures: One found picture and one self-generated picture
Colour: Two colours (e.g. green and blue/black and red)

Here's my final stages from this 8 week project. 


I used two images for my background with a full bleed and a coloured overlaid fill. I chose an image I took from the typesetting workshop I talked about in a previous post, set against an image from the Comedy Carpet in Blackpool (also discussed in a previous post). I choose to overlay these fills on my images to stick to the 2 colour brief and my chosen colour scheme for a more consistent feel in my design. I wanted to create balance so with the use of contrast I chose to alternate my use of colour. (On the black background I used a neutral colour for the text for readability, on the neutral background I used black text).


For the text I choose to use minion pro so that the text could be read easily be anyone, and in different situations e.g. someone reading clear fully and concentrating or someone skipping through text reading by the shape of each word. (Serif fonts are effective fonts for people reading by the shape of the word as the serifs create a connected and joined word).


To spilt up the large content I broke down the text into 3 headings, then with the use of paragraphs I created space for easy reading. To create the illusion of more space I added lines above each paragraph this also helps to form a conversation between the paragraphs and titles with the mirrored bold lines. Through my sketchbook research I found the movement of Bauhaus to be very influencing in my design.


My Resolved Design

The overall feeling I wanted to create was a smart, professional and chic atmosphere which would then carry over into the design studio where the poster would be situated.



For the typographers and graphic designers explore the links below for useful activities.








Now to balance out the games with more fun!



NAP x

No comments:

Post a Comment