Search This Blog

Saturday 5 March 2016

Penguin Competition 2016

You know its nearly spring when this module is launched. This year the choices were A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess, How to be a woman by Caitlin Moran and Emil and the detectives by Erich Kastner. Being a huge fan of the film, A Clockwork Orange I decided there and then which I wanted to design as its always been a compelling and favorite story of mine.

I wanted to create a contemporary and minimal design focusing on a certain object or obsession from the story, from developing my idea I felt milk was the right path to take. As depicted before in the re printed covers of 2000, 2005 and 2008 by Veronique Rolland's of a single glass of milk, I wanted to steer away from showcasing a glass of milk as much as possible, when the idea of using milk bottles came to me. I like the idea of representing each member of the gangs identity through the small differences in their clothing and styling.

I crossed over these concepts so that each milk bottle represents a member of the gang, with Alex being close and intimidating to the reader. I then added a glass of milk on the back cover to mirror the front design and layout. I added a straw to the glass representing Alex's cane and added a blue eye to the top, so as all famous scenes and icons of the film were illustrated. I believe the design incorporates the iconic and recognisable items associated with the story so far and can sit within the brand the film and book has created, yet gives a new conceptual element.






A week before the deadline a sudden burst of inspiration hit me and an idea formed for the 'How to be A woman' cover. I have always been a lover of stationary and follow both Ban.do and the company founder Jen Gotch on social media, a signature style of both is witty badges, pins and embrodiered patches. I was inspired by the emerging trend and felt it could portray the humor of the book with a stylish flair. I thought I would develop both ideas and try to submit both to the competition, this I have done with success.








NAP x

No comments:

Post a Comment