Search This Blog

Saturday 17 January 2015

Finals

This week has been a little chaotic with 3 projects needing to be printed and presented together on the same day. From being set back lot before Christmas with my illness, this past few weeks have been full of work. I still wanted to make sure I had plenty of time for the finishing of my projects, as I feel the printing is an important part of showcasing my work in my presentation and portfolio. I wanted to leave plenty of time in case any problems occurred so they could be resolved in time for my presentation. I'm happy I planned to do this as the print shops were all very busy from all other students printing for finals week. I was the first to receive my final magazine printed and bounded out of our group (Erasmus students), I was very happy with the results and relieved I sent it to print early as some had problems with elements of their magazine and even received it late.

As my postcards were finished before our Christmas break , I simply had to alter a few changes for printing and left this till last as the prints were only to show in the presentation. We had given our final 5 to be printed as part of the set to our tutor in December who printed them professionally for the whole class. I picked up my full pack of postcards during my presentation, each pack had 5 postcards designed by each student in the class, it was interesting to see the variety of work styles and how different students had interpreted the same quote differently.

For my booklet I was required to create for my history class, I choose to print on a slightly textured and aged paper to give that rich and vintage feel representing the Art Deco period. I wanted to create an invitation as an extra element for my book to make to reader feel as though they were being  included into the very elite party that Art Deco feeling created. The grand affect of the architecture and design elements in Art deco were what I tried to capture in my booklet. I used a mix of photography, patterns and illustrations to fill the pages of my booklet.

I was very nervous in the lead up to the presentation as I didn't know what to expect. I was given 15 minutes to present all 3 of my projects and final pieces. I felt prepared to talk about my ideas and concepts for my pieces of work, I took my sketchbooks so my tutors could see my progress of thoughts and designs. In the room were all the design tutors, however the presentation itself seemed a little informal in comparison to those at my home university. The tutors seemed more interested in how I found the first semester in Cyprus as an Erasmus student and the level of work compared to my studies in the UK. My tutors discussed my work in their classes and how they feel I could improve upon in certain areas. I aim to take their suggestions and put them into practice in my upcoming projects next semester.

My last and final exam for Greek is next week, so I'm going to spend my time revising my notes ready for the test. As I focused all my efforts and time I could spare on my projects, I haven't looked at any of my notes for a while. In the time we have off between now and the exam I plan to use my time wisely to make sure I pass the final exam. Vasilis our Greek friend has agreed to help us again as much as he can, i found this very helpful last time and hope it will have the same effect to my grades this time around.

Until our classes start again next month I am planning to organise my work and include them into my portfolio from my time here. I will receive my final pieces back in a weeks time and hope to take some photographs of them to display on my behance site.

NAP x

No comments:

Post a Comment